Ballarat Society of Model Engineers promotes model and experimental engineering. The term Model Engineering covers a wide range of interests including making working models of all types of mechanical devices, viz engines, clocks, boats, locomotives etc.
The Ballarat Society of Model Engineers Incs' members interests cover all forms of mechanical models and devices and include miniature live steam, electric and petrol/diesel locomotives, traction engines, stationary engines (steam,oil,gas & diesel), and boats.
The Society regularly has runs on its track at Invermay which includes live steam and electric locos(3½",5", 7¼" gauges). The track is still under construction and is over 600 metres long.
Advantages of Society Membership
1. Participate in Model Engineering with like minded individuals
2. Gain assistance & advice from experienced knowledgable individuals
3. Share resources
4. Insurance, all members of the Society are covered by a $10M public liability policy
5. Gain access to other tracks/facilities through the Australian Associated Live Steamers
6. Have access to certified Boiler Inspectors
7. Attend run days, learn to drive a Steam Locomotive, enjoy family participation